Closing Date17 October 2019
Valid From03 October 2019
About City Cruises
City Cruises Plc is the leading operator of passenger services on the River Thames and York, carrying in excess of 4 million people annually on its extensive sightseeing, entertainment and charter services. In addition to London, City Cruises also operates from Poole and York.
Oversee the operational capability of City Cruises by managing the daily fleet availability, the daily crew rota, ensuring a great customer service is provided and that the safety requirements are fulfilled.
- Delivering fleet capability to meet Company commitments in the following services:
- Daily Sightseeing services
- Daytime and Evening Function services
- Daytime and Evening Charter services
- Thamesjet services
- Seasonal services program as per Commercial demand
- Responsible for the Management of all Captains, Mates, Apprentices and team members within the Operations office.
- Maintain Vessel compliance, ensuring that all vessels in service are fit for purpose and comply with the Company Safety Management System (SMS) and MCA shipping regulations.
- Ensure that all vessels in service are manned in compliance with MCA and PLA requirements and those personnel assigned to onboard duties are qualified and trained for all duties required in operating a vessel as necessary to their role.
- Oversee and manage the Company’s Safety Management Systems to ensure that the Company meets MCA and PLA regulations and standards.
- Maintain crew levels to the required levels for our operation, supporting the Commercial revenue budget, and that planning of additional resource for the peak season is scheduled and achieved.
- Maintain a structured training and succession plan that supports Crew promotion through salary bands.
- Manage the Crew Apprenticeship scheme including the recruitment and training of Apprentices to programme completion.
- Complete appraisals with a minimum of 90% completion rate for the department, supporting the operational needs of the Company and to deliver exceptional customer satisfaction levels.
- Act as deputy Delegated Person (DP) under the terms of the SMS
- Promote and maintain good working relationships with external regulatory authorities and other commercial operators on the river.
- Oversee and manage the Operations department budgets, including the submission of any training and/ or resource proposals for review.
- Develop departmental business process improvements; undertaking assessments and making recommendations to the Board to enhance future performance.
- Exercise control over staff working time including:
- Ensuring valid authorisation of work sheets submitted.
- Compliance with the Working Time Directive.
- Co-operate with other Company departments to support Company strategy and objectives.
- Alongside Company Directors, participate in the crew pay deal negotiations.
- Ensure that employee resources are appropriate for business needs, including tackling performance issues, identification of training needs, reviewing productivity and local recruitment.
- Manage and execute all internal vessel and office audits to meet Company and authority standards.
- Manage service and vessel utilisation, including planning all aspects of daily schedules.
- Responsibility for all fleet administration including the monitoring of vessel safety checks and vessel licensing.
- Ensure compliance with statutory and Company policies on health & safety, employment law, legislative and environmental issues including regular monitoring of policy implementation.
- Provide a consistent approach and incorporate high cleaning standards on all vessels ready for inspection for London Port Authority at any given time.
- Set individual KPI’s for the Operations team and measure performance against objectives.
- Produce monthly board reports for operations and safety as required.
- Through delegation, leadership and co-operation, deliver, with the help of the Operations office staff, all of the main purposes of the job described above.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Understanding of budget management.
- Operations experience
- Experience of managing disciplinary and grievance processes
- Experience and/or knowledge of MCA and PLA regulations for the River Thames
- Proven record of strong leadership within a team
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Good cultural awareness/well travelled
- Proficient in IT – Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Perform great customer service
- Respect your colleagues and City Cruises customers
- Approach everything with integrity with what you do
- Deliver excellence through profit, customer satisfaction and living our City Cruises values
- Work with empathy
- Attention & accuracy to detail
- Results driven yet customer focused
- To exhibit a professional attitude at all times
- Smart/Well presented and Polite
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and prioritise workload
- Ability to influence and build strong business partnerships within the organisation
- Can-do attitude with the ability to react calmly in a pressurised situation
- Ability to own and follow-through on projects required and issues raised
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Excellent written, verbal communication and people management skills
- Flexible approach to work schedule based on needs of business
- Promote strong team ethics
- Motivate the team to be proactive members of the Fleet Control Department
- Able to challenge the status quo to improve productivity and efficiency
If you believe you are suitable for this position please email your CV stating what position you are applying for to firstname.lastname@example.org
NB. You will not be contacted until after the closing date regarding your application.
Company NameCity Cruises
AddressCherry Garden Pier, Cherry Garden Street, London SE16 4TU