Published on: 11 July 2019
British Marine members are invited to get involved with The Careers & Enterprise Company with a range of roles available to suit a variety of companies.
The Careers & Enterprise Company has a mission to prepare and inspire young people for the fast-changing world of work by enabling meaningful regular encounters with employers. The regular support means young people are less likely to not be in education, employment or training (NEET) when they leave school.
Funded by Government, The Careers & Enterprise Company supports schools and colleges by linking them to employers and helping them deliver world class careers support for all young people by:
- Building Networks: Linking schools and colleges to employers and other external careers providers through the Enterprise Adviser Network and Careers Hubs
- Supporting Careers Leaders: Providing training and support for Careers Leaders in schools and colleges
- Backing the Gatsby Benchmarks: Supporting implementation of a best practice standard for careers support, the Gatsby Benchmarks, with tools and targeted funding
How to get involved:
Become an Enterprise Adviser
An Enterprise Adviser is a volunteer from business who works closely with the headteacher or Senior Leadership Team of a school or college to provide strategic support. You will use your business experience and professional networks to help develop and implement an effective strategy that puts opportunities with local employers at the heart of a young person's education.
Find out more here
Become a Cornerstone Employer
Cornerstone Employers work together with their networks, the wider business community and the local Enterprise Coordinator or Hub Lead, to ensure all young people in an area have the opportunities they need to be prepared and inspired for the world of work.
A Cornerstone Employer can be a large or small business and a local or national employer, provided they are:
- Experienced in engaging with education
- Dedicated to investing time and resources
- Committed to working with other Cornerstone Employers
- Willing to galvanise their business networks
- Focused on sustainability and acts as an ambassador
Becoming a Cornerstone Employer opens up many opportunities for your organisation and staff, such as:
- Ensuring all young people in your area have the opportunities they need to be prepared and inspired for the world of work
- Giving back to your community and supporting the growth of your local economy
- Engaging and developing your current workforce
- Inspiring young people about your sector or industry
- Developing the skills required for your future workforce and building your talent pipeline
Join the national campaign: Give an Hour
Give an hour…make a difference. In as little as an hour, you could change the course of a young person’s life just by sharing your story or helping them to understand more about the world of work.
To find out more and register your interest, visit www.giveanhour.co.uk
Blue Davies, Head of Training at British Marine, comments: “The work with The Careers & Enterprise sits as part of our National Agenda for People & Skills. We encourage British Marine members to become Careers Ambassadors within their region or sector of the marine industry. Being involved as an individual or a company can be extremely rewarding and will showcase the variety and fun the marine industry has to offer.”
British Marine members can update the Training team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your activities with The Careers & Enterprise Company. Members looking to get involved or seeking further information can email email@example.com.