Published on: 30 March 2021
Applications are now welcome for a number of positions on the Board of Directors for the British Marine Group of companies (the “Group Board”), which is made of the following companies:
1) British Marine Federation Limited;
2) BMF Property Limited;
3) Southampton International Boat Show Limited; and
4) National Boat Shows Limited.
We are looking for committed individuals with a passion for the marine industry and welcome applications from a wide range of members – we want to promote diversity and inclusion.
The roles will involve being at the forefront of British Marine and Boat Shows, and successful applications will have a variety of responsibilities, which will include working with the Executive Team on:
- General oversight of British Marine, its policies and decisions
- Setting the strategy and annual business plan for British Marine, including the organisation’s objectives and policies and monitoring performance against it;
- Monitoring financial performance of the organisation
- Agreeing the Boat Show element of strategy and business plan for promoting and managing our Boat Shows in the UK
Successful applicants would be asked to give up around 12 days of their time a year on a voluntary basis, however travel expenses and hotel accommodation will be paid where necessary. We anticipate that there will be a mix of virtual and physical meetings going forward when we establish a “new normal” post pandemic.
The term for successful applicants will be three years from the date of British Marine’s Annual General Meeting this summer, with the possibility of re-election for a further three year term in 2024.
If you are interested in applying for a position, please read the information below and the notes accompanying the application form. The role specification is available here. Please submit applications by no later than 5pm on Wednesday 28 April 2021 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, we are unable to consider any applications received after the time stated above. Please also note, your application form will be provided to members of British Marine Council for them to consider and vote upon your application, with successful applicants then taking office following British Marine’s Annual General Meeting in July 2021.
Please also note that any applicant will be asked to complete formal director induction training prior to assuming the role.
For further information please contact Lesley Robinson (CEO) or Ian Cooke (President).
Please also note that any of our current board directors are happy to have an informal discussion with you so that you can hear first-hand what it is like and the benefits it can bring.
Group Board Non-Executive Director – 4 positions available
All applicants for the non-executive director positions must be either a shareholder, director, owner or employee of a current British Marine member organisation and must continue to be one of these designations for the duration of their term.
Should such British Marine member organisation cease to be a member of British Marine, then the Member Representative would also cease to be a member of the Group Board.
Who we are looking for:
- After updating our board skills audit earlier this year, the Board are ideally seeking candidates with some of the following skills and/or experience:
- Members from large boat manufacturer with international exposure.
- One/two members with direct marketing/PR experience.
- Someone with strategic large events experience (B2B and B2C).
- Someone with digital expertise.
- Members from any of small boat manufacture, distribution, brokerage, retail, engines and service and repair sectors. Smaller businesses welcome.
- Members with training provider experience.
- Members in the small commercial and marina sectors. International exports experience is also desirable.
- Members based in Scotland.
If candidates with the desired experience are not identified, the Board will seek to appoint one position externally.
British Marine Mission: Delivering outstanding services, representation and products to promote the sustainable success of our members.
British Marine Vision: A thriving industry delivering amazing on water experiences for everyone.