British Marine is the trading name of British Marine Federation Limited, the member association for the leisure, superyacht and small commercial marine industry and the organiser of the Southampton International Boat Show. Details of our governance structure can be found below.
Delivering outstanding services, representation and products to promote the sustainable success of our members.
A thriving industry delivering amazing on water experiences for everyone.
Our National Agenda can be viewed here.
Council is the national governing body of British Marine and provides strategic direction to the British Marine Board of Directors. It debates and decides topics of national significance to industry, as well as issues raised by the Regional and Group Associations and Service Committees. Council is comprised of:
- Immediate Past President
- Past Immediate Past President
- Chairmen of the Regional and Group Associations
- Chairmen of the Service Committees
- British Marine Chief Executive
Responsibilities of Council:
- Debate and decide issues of national significance to the industry;
- Provide strategic direction to the British Marine Board of Directors;
- Give final approval to all matters pertaining to membership of British Marine;
- Elect representatives to sit on the Board of Directors;
- Nominate the position of Treasurer of British Marine; and
- Authorise withdrawals from the BMF Trust.
See the currently elected representatives of the Council >
British Marine Board of Directors
The Board acts as British Marine’s Board of Directors for British Marine Federation Limited and it's group companies, and is responsible for the planning, managing and supervision of the business. The Board comprises of:
- Immediate Past President (currently vacant)
- Exhibitor Representatives x 4
- Member Representatives x 4
- British Marine Chief Executive
Functions of the Board of Directors:
- Collate proposals, suggestions and ideas received from Council.
- Prepare a BMF Strategy and Business Plan for submission to and approval by Council.
- Review the Strategy and Business Plan not less than once a year with any alteration being submitted to Council for approval.
- Recommend the financial targets and budgets for all companies and activities within the BMF Group of Companies with regular reports to Council.
- Set out objectives for the promotion of the Industry, including all exhibition activities at Home and Overseas.
- Receive and approve strategy and plans in relation to Boat Shows, with regular reports to Council.
Responsibilities of the Board of Directors:
- Delegate day to day management and operation of British Marine affairs to the Senior Management Team;
- Formulate a strategy and business plan to be approved annually by Council;
- Provide financial oversight of British Marine and provide regular reports to Council on the financial position of the Organisation;
- Hold the Senior Management Team to account if the annual British Marine strategy and business plan is not achieved;
- Provide strategic overview of the Membership and Boat Show services provided by British Marine;
- Appoint specialist Task & Finish Groups to address British Marine objectives needing specific skill sets and expertise;
- Exercise overall responsibility of the BM Group's property portfolio;
- Exercise overall responsibility of the BM Group's investment portfolio;
- Exercise overall responsibility of British Marine's Membership & Services;
- Exercise overall responsibility of the British Marine Boat Shows;
- Take collective responsibility for the success of the BM Group; and
- Represent the interests of both British Marine members and exhibitors at Board level.
Current Members of the Board of Directors
Senior Management Team
The Senior Management Team is responsible for the day to day management and operation of British Marine's affairs. It works closely with the British Marine Board of Directors to achieve the strategic business plan approved by Council each year in a manner which meets British Marine's Mission Statement, Vision and National Agenda objectives.