Closing Date27 May 2019
Valid From27 March 2019
Elite Marine who?
Elite Marine is the UK’s best team of synthetic yacht decking craftsmen. We build bespoke decking for everything from 20ft day boats to 150ft super yachts. We work mostly in the UK but also in France, the rest of Europe and sometimes the Caribbean.
We’re hiring new craftsmen who can take on all aspects of building yacht decking using Permateek synthetic decking.
So what will you actually be doing?
- Templating yachts at marina’s across the UK - using plastic templating sheet to lay out on the boat and draw a life size template of the areas to be decked
- Rough cutting the synthetic decking stock into planks and lining up for welding
- Using a plastic thermal/ heat welding gun to join planks
- Cutting out the welded deck panels to the template precisely (to a ±1mm tolerance)
- Adding detail such as margin boards, snapes and artificial plank breaks to the decks to make them look as much like real teak decking as possible - attention to detail is key
- Sanding and finishing the deck by hand
- Fitting (gluing) the deck to yachts at marinas and putting the finishing touches to it
- Occasionally removing old teak and preparing the deck for our Permateek decking
- Having a good time while we do it… come on, who doesn’t want to work on boats?
The most important thing
The most important characteristic of our craftsmen is their unwavering attention to detail and eye for quality. They never say ‘that’ll do’ or ‘it’s ok this time’. Our customers take pride in their boats - they spend time, energy and money on them. Replacing the deck is one of the biggest visual improvements they can make. This is why we take pride in our work, and strive for the 5 star review from every single customer.
Our best people
Our best people get a bit funny if straight lines aren’t perfect, they get frustrated if things don’t fit well and they are fiercely proud of their work. It takes a particular type of person to understand and embrace this obsession for the details - to put yourself in the customer's shoes.
You’re good at
- At least 2 years of working with PVC synthetic decking for yachts is required
- Creating physical things, mostly by hand, and by following detailed templates.
- Using hand tools like sanders, heat guns, drills and stanley knives with accuracy.
- Solving challenges and problems. Not all yachts are created equal so it's not always simple.
- Telling others what you’re thinking, but also taking onboard feedback - this way we all learn from each other and get better at what we do.
- You’ll also need a full UK driving licence.
Bonus points for having
- 5 star reviews of your previous work from customers or colleagues.
- A Passport - don’t worry if you don't have one yet, it just means you won’t be able to do any international work until you do.
- A driving licence allowing you to tow trailers over 750kg (anyone who passed before 1st January 1997 or you need category BE if you passed your test after that)
- Good knees - we work on the floor a lot.
In return, we can offer
- Between £10.80 and £13.20 an hour based on skills and experience.
- Typically 40 hours per week, occasional overtime.
- Challenges to your skill and creativity - not all boats are made the same or simple flat squares to cover, sometimes it takes a bit of thought.
- Flexible working hours - we just need the decks to be built so if you’re a 6am-2pm kind of person or a 10am-6pm person, both are welcome. Equally if you want to go surfing in the middle of the day, that’s usually ok too.
- A great working environment - yes most jobs promise this, but we promise we actually mean it… we all have to enjoy working here too.
- Being based at our Hamworthy premises in Poole.
How to apply
Send us the usual cover note attached to your CV, telling us why we should hire you over everyone else. Keep it short and sweet but make sure we notice you.
Apply ToRad Dougall
Company NameElite Marine Solutions
Address498b Blandford Road
Job TypeBoat Building, Fitting
Job RegionSouth West England
How to apply
If you would like more information about this vacancy, please contact Rad Dougall